Thursday, March 15, 2012

Wrestling!

I have a lot of wrestling DVDs sitting around the house. I mean literally hundreds of DVDs sitting around the house. I've got all sorts of stuff. I have the entire television run of Smoky Mountain Wrestling, years worth of WCW television, All Japan, New Japan, Chikara, etc. You name a fed, I probably have several DVDs worth of footage. And if I'm missing it, it's probably sitting on my external hard drive. I can safely say there's at least 2000 hours worth of footage in my possession.

I was a bit of a late comer to the wrestling scene. I was aware of the big Hulk Hogan run in the WWF and I was aware of the players around him as a kid. I just never really watched. Then on some random day in 1997 I tuned in to WCW Monday Nitro.

WCW @ Sacramento, CA - Arco Arena - February 24, 1997
Monday Nitro:
Public Enemy defeated Jeff Jarrett & Steve McMichael
Jim Duggan defeated Galaxy
Hugh Morrus defeated Joe Gomez
Ice Train defeated La Parka
The Barbarian & Meng defeated WCW US Champion Eddie Guerrero & Chris Jericho
Rey Mysterio Jr. defeated Juventud Guerrera
WCW TV Champion Prince Iaukea defeated Pat Tanaka
The Ultimo Dragon defeated Dean Malenko via disqualification
Diamond Dallas Page defeated Dave Taylor via count-out

This would be the first episode I watched. I enjoyed it quite a bit and I came back the next week and then the next. Then after a month or two of Nitro watching, I discovered the weekend shows. A whole new world was opened up to me then. Now instead of waiting a week for my wrestling fix, I got an entire weekend of programming to get me hyped up for the big Nitro shows.

WCW, sadly closed in 2001 due to mismanagement and my fandom never was really the same. I never liked the WWE like I did WCW. WCW was my true love so to speak with wrestling.

Thankfully as the 2000s progressed more and more footage became readily available for purchase or download and my collection slowly grew from there. Okay... so my collection got out of control quickly if I'm being honest.

This year my goal is to watch the entire 1989 run of WCW television. If you're a fan, you know this is spoken of as one of the best years for WCW in every aspect. Great matches, great angles and just all around fun. I've never gotten to see the year from start to finish and it's always been my goal as a fan to watch this year. Well, that's what I'm doing in 2012. I'll probably post highlights on here as I progress through the shows.

No comments:

Post a Comment