Saturday, March 3, 2012

Wolverine and the X-Men #6


The two fairly constant hobbies/obsessions in my life have been comics and Transformers. Comics in particular have been one of my favorite hobbies. Reading about the X-Men or Spider-Man is kind of like catching up with an old friend. Plus, if you've read my other blogs, I've done a lot of comic stuff.

That brings us to what I read today. Wolverine and the X-Men #6 arrived in the mail with my monthly shipment of comics yesterday. I eagerly grabbed this first and got caught up on the X antics for the month.

Kitty Pryde has been infected with microscopic Brood while Wolverine takes Quinten Quire into outer space to help him earn enough money to keep the school open. That's the basic premise and that's all I'm giving away. This post is more about praising the quality of the book.

In this day and age, it's really hard to find comics that aren't "written for trade". That means that the writer does a 6 part story that's super decompressed so that it will neatly fit into a trade paperback that the company can later sell for $19.99 a pop. As a reader of individual issues, it sucks... hard...

You go to the shop and spend your $2.99 or $3.99 on a book and you get home and you've finished reading it in 5 minutes. I remember just after Christmas sitting down and reading the first 4 issues of the new Justice League series. Took me 20 minutes to finish my $16 investment.

But Wolverine and the X-Men is different. The issues are just filled with stuff going on. There's usually several storylines going on at once and the writer Jason Aaron isn't afraid to go a 2-3 part story. Most of the 52 DC titles are 6 issues in and haven't completed a story. Wolverine and the X-Men is on issue 6 and we're on the third storyline for the book.

Plus the book is just good fun. It doesn't take itself too seriously. I've found myself laughing at each and every issue and I always want the next issue. There's nothing ground breaking going on or anything. It's just some good clean fun issue after issue.

So check it out if you're at your local comic book shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment