Sunday, March 4, 2012

The Daily Grind of Weight Loss

Over the course of the last year, the wife and I have talked about the possibility of trying to have a kid. We waffle back and forth by the day usually. I have been a little more anti-child lately but I think that's because of all the shitty parenting constantly going on in the public eye. A good tantrum handled poorly by a parent usually has me thinking "fuck that, we don't need the headache". Granted, that's a silly thing to think. The parents in those situations are almost always to blame for the situations we see. A kid is a kid, the adult has to guide them and show them social barriers. Sure, a good parent will have a kid throw a tantrum in a store but I think it is less likely to happen by a lot. My point being, my wife and I won't be those shitty parents so I shouldn't judge potential parenthood by what idiots do on a daily basis.

But wait, I thought this was a weight loss post. It is, the point of the above paragraph is at some point last year my wife and I had a talk about considering having a kid. We went over the pros and cons and things that we needed to do before we tried for a kid. One of the things on that "to do list" was weight loss. Last spring we set out on a mission to lose weight on a large scale. My wife's goals are clearly stated and I won't repeat them here, my goal is pretty simple. Reach 200 lbs.

After three start and stops due to illness, last year was a lot of illness, we got a new start in the second week of January. My wife started one week and I started the next. Currently Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Sunday are "gym days". We come home, cook dinner and then head to the gym about 6:30 at night.

The gym is a weird place. You have people there to workout and you have people that don't. I'm always baffled by the people that pay gym fees and then go and treat the place like a social club. My wife and I often have to mold our workouts around these people. They usually decide to station themselves on a machine and then proceed to talk on their phone, talk to their buddy or just otherwise take up space. There's also what is known as the "gym rat". With these guys, you can go on any day at any time and they'll be there... and on the same machine to boot. After about three weeks of this, you start to wonder if this person has a job, a home, a life in general really.

As for our workouts. I've lost 12 pounds since the third week of January. We haven't been derailed by a serious illness thus far. My wife has had similar successes so far. She's even starting to move down a size in pants and is absolutely thrilled with it. We aren't doing anything super special honestly. We're doing some weight training, hitting the treadmill and bikes plus watching what we eat.

12 pounds down and a whole lot to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment