Friday, March 9, 2012

TGIF...

I apologize now for the hack title to this thread. What rhythms with Friday though or starts with an F? Guess I'll be giving that some more thought for the future.

The wife and a co-worker went to see the ballet version of Sleeping Beauty so I had dinner with them. We went to Tip-Top Columbus. It's a bar downtown that has a very old style about it. You kind of feel like you're walking into the past when you enter Tip-Top. I got the pot-roast sandwich. It comes on a pretzel roll which makes it even more awesome. So if you ever find yourself on 4th and East Gay Street, take a right turn and check out Tip-Top Columbus.

Shameless shilling thy name is me...

After I got home I decided to hit up a B movie that I've been itching to see for months. The Monster That Challenged the World was on the docket for the night. This is available on Netflix Instant if you want to give it a quick glance. It stars Hans Conried who you might know as the voice of Captain Hook from the Disney Peter Pan and Snidely Whiplash on Dudley Do-Right. He was also the voice of Thorin on a personal favorite the Hobbit.

Anyways, the military gets terrorized by I guess a giant larva of some sort. It's a pretty standard "monster reeks mayhem on some scale". You know, as far as 50s and 60s B movies go... it was pretty competent. I doubt this is something you would see on MST3K for instance. It was shoot well, the plot was pretty sound and the effects were low budget but not ridiculous. The acting was even acceptable.

I would recommend this to anyone that loves catching old monster movies from the 50s and 60s.

2 comments:

  1. I got the animated Hobbit for Christmas. Love that movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The version I have has a really bad sound transfer. Like the music bed is too loud and drowns out the other sound effects.

    Looking at Amazon, that's the only DVD version. Bummer. Hopefully they fix it for any Blu-Ray releases.

    ReplyDelete