Tuesday, March 6, 2012

I must have been bored...

The Presidential primary came through Ohio today and speaking of Mormons, one of my wife's favorite shows is Sister Wives. If you haven't seen this show, it airs on TLC and it's about a family of polygamists. It's your typical reality television show past that. If you've seen any of the TLC reality shows, you'll understand the format to this show.

My wife enjoys it for mostly the train wreck aspect of the family. I watch it passively like I do a lot of shows. So I miss episodes here and there and I don't always pay attention to an episode when it's on. But I've grown to find the family itself to be pretty distasteful. I like lists so I decided I was going to write out my problems with the family itself in list form...

1. Kody Brown is kind of a douche. Now, understand that bigamy is illegal in most places in the United States. So this family is breaking the law with their current setup. In his hunger for publicity and attention he's opened himself up to prosecution and having his family broken apart. Now, he'll remind you of this about a thousand times an episode but he never puts any responsibility on himself for creating the situation. Getting some spotlight ultimately seems more important to him than his family.

2. The women all seem miserable. Their moods all vary from episode to episode but they all seem to slip into some bout of depression. You see, Kody is married to 4 women and he has to split his time between the 4. So 3 will get him 2 nights a week and 1 gets the shaft and gets a single night. Ultimately, they all want to spend more time with him and it's just not possible. Honestly, 3 wives seems more workable when you do the math. That's at least the opinion my wife and I share on the situation.

3. The family is hyper judgmental. There are several episodes where the family gets on their high horse about how society should be more open minded towards their lifestyle. But when you get them into any real situation, they are extremely judgmental of other people. They come across like hypocrites a lot.

4. They don't get it. There seems to be this weird disconnect with the family. I'm not a Mormon but I understand why your average Mormon just trying to live their life would be pissed at the Browns. They come on television every weekend and make you look like a fool and like a bigamist.

Now, outside of that. They seem like okay people. Well, not Kody, he really is a douche. The women at least are doing the best to raise their kids as best as they can. Each of the 4 seem likable in their own ways. Honestly, I think my biggest problem is I kind of feel sorry for them for being saddled with such a dunderhead of a husband.

Yeah, I think I just put way too much thought into that. Oh well...

No comments:

Post a Comment