Thursday, March 8, 2012

I use ... in my titles a lot...

This week has felt like an eternity. No real reason or anything. Monday just feels like a lifetime ago in some regards. Today marked month 16 at my "new" job. Which is amazing to me in some regards because it really feels like I've only been at this job maybe 3-4 months. But time seems to go by quicker when you actually enjoy your job.

I guess some of my backstory. I worked in warehouses for the first 5 years of my professional life. Now, if you've done that kind of work, you generally know how it is and the type of co-workers you have. Needless to say, I grew to hate it quite a bit and my last place of employment especially. I was at the point where I was pretty depressed and my body was starting to show the wear and tear from my jobs. I had severe back spasms at one point and it took me months to feel even remotely normal again.

When you work a blue collar job, you tend to think that's what your life is and is going to be. Most people working in those conditions either don't want to work in an office environment and don't think they can. I was pretty determined to get out and into a white collar job.

I tried off and on over the course of a few years. Unfortunately, the economy went bad and I got laid off twice in a six month period. Most places, treat you like some kind of a caveman if you're trying to come work in their office with warehouse as your primary experience. I don't necessarily blame them for that, though it sucks when you have to sit across a table from someone in an interview and know they're writing you off because of it.

I applied to several places, got a few interviews that went nowhere and then heard about a job from a friend. I applied to that job and gave the interview of my life. I'm not the best interview but for some reason, I really came out of my shell that day. They seemed to like me and I was feeling pretty good about my chances.

Fastforward to the future and my cell phone rang at work...

I got the job! I almost fell to my knees at the news. I was free. I didn't have to stand on my feet all day, I didn't have to destroy my body anymore. I didn't have to work with ex-convicts anymore. I was going to a nice office, I was going to sit at a desk all day and I was going to be happy.

16 months later, I still love my job and I'm still happy.

1 comment:

  1. That's great that you found something that makes you happy. :-)

    ReplyDelete