Monday, March 12, 2012

Rainy Monday Musings...

I read issue 7 of the new Swamp Thing series this weekend. The actual Swamp Thing finally showed up this issue. Don't get me wrong, I've really been enjoying this series. I just get annoyed at the decompression that goes on with modern comics. If it's a standard superhero fare book, I expect to see the hero before issue 7. That complaint aside, the new Swamp Thing is really good. It ties in with the old Alan Moore run on the book in the 80s. It's been a very pleasant surprise since the reboot.

The new DC 52 has been kind of a disappointment overall though. The diversity in the DCU has really taken a nosedive in this new series. Every character feels like the same archetype now. No one's married, the heroes seem to either be teenagers or twenty somethings. And characters that were unique like Amanda Waller and Barbara Gordon have had their unique aspects taken away. It kind of feels like those old Silver Age books where the only difference characters had were their power sets.

I've been slacking on my reading a little though. People have been raving about the Court of Owls storyline in Batman and I have yet to get to those. I've been meaning to but I always seem to end up reading something else. The Court of Owls is supposed to lead into the first big 52 crossover. I have to say, despite my DC complaints, I do find this crossover to be interesting.

We took Kelly's niece to the Tractor Supply Company with us over the weekend. They have baby chicks for sale and she proceeded to spend the rest of the day convincing us she needed a pet chicken. Kelly's niece is always scheming for a new animal of some sort. Before the chicken, it was a goose and before that it was some $2000 parrot. I'm sure next time we see her she'll have a new most wanted animal.

It was a warm but rainy day in the city today. I was hoping to get a walk in tonight but that just wasn't in the cards. Gym tomorrow. Going to hit the weights and some cardio. The march to 15 lbs. begins!

No comments:

Post a Comment