Wednesday, March 7, 2012

My Favorite Obscure Comic Titles...

I seem to have a habit of latching onto books that don't find an audience. Strangely enough, this happens with television a lot too. I thought for my own amusement I would travel through some of my favorite failed comic book titles. For my purposes, obscure means a short lived title or a title that wouldn't necessarily get a lot of talk these days.

Mutant X: This is not to be confused with the television show of the same name and had nothing to do with this series. Havoc dies and ends up in an alternate reality. He takes over for the dead Havoc in that Universe and leads a team known as the Six. I will admit, this book was strange for me to like. I'm not a huge alternate reality fan but there was something about this title that kept me coming back for it's entire 32 issue run. I think you can find this series for pretty cheap.

Ren and Stimpy: You have to understand that I was smack dab in the middle of the demographic that Ren and Stimpy were aiming for when they hit the scene. I loved the cartoon and I came to love the comic book. Dan Slott was the writer and he's gone on to have quite a career with Marvel Comics. I was younger when I was getting these so I'm not sure of the quality. I've wanted to revisit these as an adult and see how it holds up. This one ran for 44 issues and had numerous specials.

Shadowpact: This one came out of DC's Infinite Crisis and One Year Later events. It was a magical super team of sorts. More like a rag tag group of misfits. I really enjoyed the vibe of this book. It didn't take itself too seriously and that's been a rarity at DC since the OYL event started. The series lasted for a mere 25 issues. I was sad to see this one go as it was probably my favorite title at the time.

Mage: Okay, in fairness the obscurity of this title is questionable. I remember it got quite a bit of play in Wizard at the time in the late 90s but I've never really heard it mentioned on a podcast or by other comic fans that I know. This is about modern day reincarnations of mythological heroes, all of them. King Arthur is in there and Hercules, etc. This has had two 15 issue series and a third is planned but no word of when it's actually coming out. It's been 15 years since the last series so I hope soon.

Tellos: I'll be honest, I don't remember a ton about this one. I know it was a fantasy title but not much else. I do remember that my friend Justin and I would eagerly await each issue coming out. I should probably revisit this one as an adult. This one was 10 issues and I think a bunch of specials and one shots followed.

Captain Marvel: Volume 3. I was in Spanish Club my senior year of high school and we went to Costa Rica for our trip. On a long layover my friend Justin and I had wandered into the newsstand in Dallas or Miami. We were looking for things to read and I grabbed a copy of #5. It's safe to say that I was pretty hooked on this series after that. Peter David was the writer and I just got a kick out of this book. The dynamic between Rick Jones and Genis-Vell was humorous and fun. I was said when this book got the boot. I think this one lasted 35 issues.

There you have it. Some of my favorite books that were a little more obscure. You can find Mage and Tellos on Comixology. Check them out.



No comments:

Post a Comment