Friday, August 9, 2013

AFC North Preview

Let's take a look at the AFC North this time out. I think this division is a two team race between the Ravens and Bengals. The Ravens have more questions than the Bengals and that is what I'm basing my predictions off of for this post.

I think the Cincinnati Bengals are winning the North this year. They have a top level defense and it got a little stronger with the addition of James Harrison. Geno Atkins and Michael Johnson were terrors on the line last year. Atkins really stepped up his production in year 2 and I think he's going to take another step forward this year. I think we might be talking about Atkins as an elite defensive lineman after this year. On the offensive side, Andy Dalton and A.J. Green have another under their belt and Marvin Jones stepped up towards the end of the season. I think you could see the passing game become very dangerous this year. You also have BenJarvus Green-Ellis as a solid running back. This team just doesn't have a ton of weaknesses and I think you're looking at a team that's going to win 10-12 games.

The defending Super Bowl Champion Baltimore Ravens have some questions to answer. Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Paul Kruger, Daniel Ellerbe and Anquan Boldin have all left town. To make matters worse Dennis Pitta is out for the season due to a hip injury. On offense you have Torrey Smith and Jacoby Jones as your main receiving threats. That doesn't fill me with a lot of fear as a opposing team. Ray Rice had a bit of a down year last season and I wonder how he'll respond this year. Will we see the dominate running or backfield receiver or the good running back that's less of a receiving threat. I don't know what to make of the defense either. Elvis Dummervil is good but he wasn't worth the kind of money he wanted. I don't think he's an addition to hang your hat on. I think the Ravens are looking at a 9-7 or 10-6 season. Not enough to win the division but probably enough to get a wild card spot.

The Pittsburgh Steelers are in limbo this year. This is a team that depends heavily on Ben Rothlisberger and Troy Polamalu to stay relevant as a team. The Steelers lack proven talent on offense. Antonio Brown has been effective in the past but I don't think he's a no. 1 receiver. Le'Veon Bell has some potential. I think he could be the answer to their rushing woes but I also think he could be a total bust too. Jonathan Dwyer is okay but I don't think you want him as a feature back. The defense is still in okay shape. They seem to struggle when Polamalu isn't on the field though. If he struggles to stay on the field this year, the defense is going to struggle to keep teams from scoring. I think you're looking at a team that's going to win 7-9 games this year.

The Cleveland Browns are looking at the cellar of the North again this year. The new ownership retooled the defense and I think it looks good. They've got some real potential to become a good defense. The real problem with this team is the offense. Brandon Weeden and Jason Campbell are not going to lead you to the playoffs. Trent Richardson has some health questions. It's very possible that he's injury prone. I think the offensive line is pretty solid though. I think you're going to see a team that takes some strides but ends up at 5-11 when all is said and done.

1 comment:

  1. Not that it matters much, but the Browns, Bengals and Ravens all won their first preseason game last night. I would be happy with a 9-7 Steeler team.

    ReplyDelete