Friday, August 2, 2013

AFC East Preview

I think the headlines of this division have been grabbed by the Aaron Hernandez case. He's a giant loss to the Patriots, who rely heavily on tight ends, and will really weaken their team. The Fins went out and spent a lot of money in free agency. The Bills overhauled in the draft and the Jets are the Jets.

The bottom line to the East this year is the Patriots are going to take a step back because Gronk and Hernandez are gone. This is going to make life difficult for Brady. The defense has also had issues as time has moved on. With that said, who in the North is going to take the title away from them? The Patriots still have Stevan Ridley who ran for 1200 yards last year. Amendola and Tebow are unknowns but Amendola was good when healthy and I think Tebow could excel as a tight end. I think the Patriots are going to struggle but I think they're going to struggle to a 10-6 or 11-5 record. I don't see any of the other teams really getting anywhere near that.

The Buffalo Bills brought in a new corp of receivers, new QBs and look to be overhauling the system. Look, this team is just bad. I see some real potential with EJ Manual but he's just a rookie. This is a team that's building for a couple of years down the road. I think you're looking at another throwaway season here Bills fans.

NY Jets... what really needs to be said here. This team is a total disaster. Mark Sanchez is the worst starter in the league no ands, ifs or buts. The butt fumble from last season is going to be what we remember him for. The rest of the offense is a complete disaster. This team is going to struggle to score 17 pts. a week. The defense is still pretty decent but they're undisciplined and they'll once again be a poorly coached team.

Miami went out and spent some money in the offseason. Mike Wallace and Dannell Ellerbe were notable additions to the roster. I think the Wallace deal can be summed up when you look at the reaction of Steeler fans. They were sad to see him go but they weren't THAT sad. Wallace has always struck me as a fairly limited receiver. He's really great at running straight routes but not so great at anything else. Tannehill can throw some bombs and that will surely benefit him. There's some good pieces on the offense but I'm not sure the defense is going to be that good. I don't think Ellerbe was that great of a pickup. I think the team will be improved this year but I don't think they'll be playoff bound at all.

Playoff Picture:

New England Patriots win the division. No wildcard teams from this division in 2013.

2 comments:

  1. I completely and totally disagree with you. The Pats will not win the North. I do think they will win the East though. I kid I kid. I make mistakes on my blog too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had that titled as the North preview in the draft too. I was having some weird mental block over it.

    ReplyDelete