Monday, October 15, 2012

The Geek NBA Preview Part 1

With hockey probably dead for the season I guess it's focus on the NBA or have a long winter and spring with no sports to focus on. I decided to do a little preview in 6 parts. Each part will consist of one division of the NBA. I will be giving my general thoughts on the team, the moves they made and how I think they'll perform this year. Part one will be the Atlantic Division. Let's get this show on the road.

Boston Celtics:

This is a team undergoing an identity shift. The big three are finally broken apart as Ray Allen headed off into the sunset in the offseason. The Celtics bring in Courtney Lee, Jared Sullinger, Fab Melo and Jason Terry. I like the addition of Jason Terry. He's a streaky shooter that can add some offense when needed. I think Brandon Bass and Jared Sullinger will be an interested combo at power forward. Unfortunately, I think this team needs Sullinger to really perform to make a deep run in the playoffs. Anyways, I think you'll probably see a marginal season from the Celtics and then they'll make some noise come playoff time. I don't think they have the tools to beat the Miami Heat in the playoffs though.

Brooklyn Nets:

New city for the maligned Nets franchise. I'll be honest here, I really hate their roster despite the love that analysts are giving it. I think Joe Johnson is a bad locker room guy who isn't worth his contract. I hate their entire front court, the Wallace deal especially was terrible. I also don't think Deron Williams is a No. 1 kind of guy. I think you want Williams as the sidekick to your superstar. Now, this is the Eastern Conference which means the bar to entry to the playoffs is pretty low. The Nets could probably go 38-44 or 40-42 and grab the 8th seed and lose to Miami in 5. I think a 7 or 8 seed is probably a good bet for the Nets. Johnson/Williams will probably be enough for that.

New York Knicks:

The offseason was a complete fiasco for the Knicks. They let Jeremy Lin walk because their owner decided to pout instead of do the right thing for his team. Lin was the first feel good story to happen for the Knicks fans since the 1999 season. I think you can question Lin's long term performance ability but I also think sometimes you have to sign a bad contract if it makes the fans happy. The Knicks went in the opposite direction of what they seemed to be going for last year. The team brought in Jason Kidd, Rasheed Wallace, Marcus Camby and Raymond Felton. Kidd celebrated his new contract by going out and getting a DUI and Felton had an awful year last season. This team might easily be one of the most unlikable teams in the league. You also have the typical problems of Amare being a max contract and not playing well and Anthony being... well... Anthony. I think this team has disaster written all over it. I think they might make the playoffs but I also think they'll get bounced easily. Just a horrible offseason.

Philadelphia 76ers:

The big move for the 6ers was trading for Andrew Bynum in the offseason. Bynum is a great talent when healthy. The problem is... Bynum seems to be a mistake already. The season really revolves around him. If he's healthy, there isn't a center in the Eastern Conference that is on his level of play. He is easily the 2nd best center in the league behind Dwight Howard. If he's not healthy... well good luck with that. I think you're probably looking at a 5 or a 6 seed with this team. They play solid defense and added a pretty good scorer with Richardson. I think they'll be an interesting squad to track.

Toronto Raptors:

People seem to like Kyle Lowry well enough. The front court is interesting as Jonas Valanciunas and Andrea Bargnani are going to be playing center and power forward. That's going to be some real size in the low post for the Raptors. Past that little caveat, boy does this team stink. I mean, who in their right mind would want to watch this team play ball? Cellar dweller here.

No comments:

Post a Comment