Wednesday, October 10, 2012

My week thus far...

My dad had his hip replaced on Monday. I won't bore you with the details of the science involved in that. The short of it is, he now has ceramic instead of bone in his right hip. Today he was released from the hospital, he's doing really well. I have been stunned at how easily and effortlessly he's managed to transition to walking and getting about with a walker. He did fall down once during the day but he and I managed to get him standing again without too much effort.

I was struck this week by the fact that the biggest impact of this whole thing was seeing my dad in a hospital bed like a human being. I was surprised to find that at 31 years old, my dad was still invincible to me. You would think that you would outgrow that as you become an adult but I guess you don't lose some of the more childish aspects of how you view your parents.

1 comment: