Saturday, October 20, 2012

Games I Love Part 3: Super Mario 3



This game was a cultural phenomenon when it came out in the United States in 1990. No, literally... if you were a video game player this was a giant event. Nintendo Power released a guide for it, there was a cartoon and McDonald's even had toys for it!



This game probably features my favorite Mario power of all time. The Hammer Bros outfit. There was just something cool about tossing hammers at your enemies and the suit itself didn't appear a lot in the game.

I got this for Christmas so it had been out for awhile before I got to really play it. I remember Blockbuster had tons of copies and they were constantly out. I believe the local mom and pop rental place had the wait list at several months.

This isn't my favorite Mario game. It's probably somewhere in the middle of the pack but this game was an important cultural moment for anyone that played video games that was around my age. This game was just huge and I believe it's still the best selling video game of all time.

Next time, I think I'm going to take a look at Mike Tyson's Punch-Out.

2 comments:

  1. "A new game!?! You didn't say anything about a new game!!!" - The Wizard.

    Mario 3 was an awesome game.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know it was in The Wizard but I never actually saw the movie. It was one of those weird misses movie wise considering how excited I was about it as a kid.

    ReplyDelete