Friday, July 6, 2012

Wait... this is Ohio right? Not Florida?

If you live outside of Ohio, you probably haven't heard much of the storms that tore through the state a week ago. The media likes to pretend that New York, DC and L.A. are the only cities in the United States. The storm also hit DC so that's been the exclusive focus of the coverage.

My wife and I went to dinner at W.G. Grinders that night and my wife had mentioned that there was a severe weather advisory in effect until 5:30. The sky looked pretty clear and we went about our business as usual. We left a pet store around 5:15 and the sky had become black as night.

We decided to head home and the storm hit. The winds were 80 MPH and the rain was literally coming off the ground in waves. I was speeding down the back country road we often take because I feared the power lines might blow over. It was a battle to just control the car. We safely made it to our neighborhood but trees were falling in the road and we had to keep detouring because of blocks. The visibility had become so bad that my wife had to help me look for things in the road.

We made it to our house and rushed in. The power was out and would be for about 5 days. We were drenched to the bone from the going to the car to the house. Something like 600,000 people lost power in these storms. It was crazy and was probably the worst natural event that I've ever lived through. It was for all purposes a hurricane in wind levels and such.

Thankfully, our house made it out of this with no damage. We stayed with my parents for the days we were without power so we didn't have to suffer through the 100 degree days with no AC. Our biggest loss was all the food in the fridge and freezer. Below is what survived:


Driving through the area is still surreal in a lot of ways. There are giant trees that have just been blown over or split at the top. On a part of a major road 15 high tension towers came down during the storm. It was an interesting experience to say the least.

That was the last week of my life... may I never live through it again.

1 comment:

  1. My Dad was without power in Wilmington. My little brother was without power in Blacklick. We got very very lucky at my place to have only lost internet and cable. Big loss compared to other people, right? If you read my latest blog entry you can see my story of that Friday.

    Glad you and your wife are okay now.

    ReplyDelete