Saturday, November 17, 2012

Games I Love: Pokemon Red



I said I was going to make this post about Mike Tyson's Punch-Out but I changed my mind. I bought Pokemon Black 2 about 2 weeks ago and I've been playing through slowly but surely.

September 30, 1998 was D-Day for this game. My friend Dan and I had an agreement in place. He was going to buy the Blue version of the game and I was going to buy the Red version of the game. If you haven't played a Pokemon game, you need both versions to capture all the potential Pokemon to be had. Several are exclusive to a particular version of the game.

Dan, I think, put about 120 hours into the game and I put somewhere around 105 hours into the game over the course of a few years. We also had numerous battles over a few year period. I think that was pretty evenly divided between us.

The game itself is a really deep RPG. Pokemon are varied by type and are strong/weak against other types. There were 150 Pokemon in that version of the game. So you had a lot of choices for your team. It's very addictive if you get into the grind of leveling your Pokemon and evolving them to stronger creatures.

I've continued on with the series, I don't think Dan did. Things have gotten more complicated as time has gone on. I think Gold/Silver and the White/Black games have been the class of the sequels. I still have my Red game with all of my original Pokemon.

This was easily my game of choice through the last two years of high school.

1 comment:

  1. I still have my old game somewhere buried in my basement. I loved my Teenage Mutant Ninja Squirtles. And all my Dragonite Pokemon named after Dragonball Z Saiyens!

    ReplyDelete