Saturday, November 17, 2012

All-New X-Men #1


This won't be a standard blow by blow review of the book. Mostly just my reaction to it. Anyways, this book is part of the new Marvel Now initiative. Over the next 6 months, most of the titles will be getting new #1 issues and getting new creative teams. Unlike DC, they're not throwing everything out and starting over again new. So far this is the 4th book from Marvel Now that I've read. I liked the first 3 books a lot.

I play the same game over and over with the X-Titles. I said I wasn't going to get Wolverine and the X-Men, I caved. I said I wasn't interested in this book and then I kind of started peaking out of the corner of my eye at it coyly for the few weeks leading up to it's release. My wife wanted a copy of Gambit #5 so that seemed like a good enough excuse to wander into my local comic shop (LCS if you want to get into comic book nerd internet lingo) and pick up a copy.

All I can say after issue 1 is bravo Mr. Bendis... bravo... You just added this book to my buy list for the immediate future. The long and short of the story is that Cyclops is free after the events of AvX and has gone full blown rogue with Emma Frost and Magneto. He's freeing mutants by any means necessary and is calling himself a mutant revolutionary. The X-Men's hands are tied for fear of a civil war. Beast decides to go back in time and grab the younger versions of Cyclops, Beast, Iceman, Angel and Jean Grey to try and talk some sense into the present day Cyclops. Beast manages to use some Back to the Future lines to great effect here.

A lot of the X-Titles in recent years have been about the darker turn in the methods of Cyclops and that trickling down to the X-Men teams as surviving became more and more important. There have been ramifications among the various characters as time has gone on. It appears that all of that is exploding here and I'm really enjoying it. I also handed it over to Kelly and she seemed to enjoy it a lot as well.

This book probably shot to the top of my read pile for the near future. I'm really excited for issue 2 to get here.

No comments:

Post a Comment