Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Les Misérables

I'm not one to post movie reviews on here. No real reason, I just never think to do it and with the price of a movie these days, my wife and I tend to wait for things to get released on DVD/Blu-Ray more often than not. 2012 was actually probably one of our more active years as we saw the Hunger Games, Avengers twice, Brave, Expendables 2, the last Twilight movie and of course Les Misérables.

I'm not one for musicals, they just don't speak to me at all. Les Misérables is kind of the exception to that rule. I took my wife to see the play at the Ohio Theater about 2 years ago as an anniversary present.

The movie was a pretty fun time overall. It captured the feel of the theater production pretty well. You can nitpick something as much as you want but ultimately, some things are going to change and you have to deal with it. Hugh Jackman was really good in it and Anne Hathaway was a real surprise in her performance.

The real downer of the whole event was Russell Crowe. I can honestly say he had no business being in this movie. I had low expectations for him and I don't think he even lived up to thinking he was going to suck. He was mostly expressionless throughout the whole thing and sang in a dull monotone when he wasn't rushing through the lyrics so quick you couldn't understand him. A more minor complaint was Sacha Baron Cohen as Thénardier. He wasn't outright terrible in the role but he just didn't do much with it.

Overall though, it was a fun film despite it's flaws. It's definitely worth seeing if you're a fan or like musicals in general.

2 comments:

  1. You mean to tell me that Borat was in Les Mis?? Yuck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I wasn't a fan of that casting decision.

    ReplyDelete